Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fire Roasted Pepper and Carrot Puree


I stumbled onto a versatile use for carrots. Let me start by saying that I love carrots and I probably have them to thank for my 20/10 eyesight (that and my mom's genes). I've loved them since I was a kid, and always look for ways to incorporate them into a meal. On this one, I discovered a few uses from a single recipe.

I wanted to make a crostini topped with shrimp and somehow incorporate carrots. I thought of doing something like a gremolata, but that just didn't seem to fit (and I didn't want a true gremolata). I then thought of doing a spread and it popped into my head to go with a puree. I wanted the carrots to have some bang and decided to roast a red pepper to add.

Here's what you do:

Boil 1 large carrot (sliced into 3/4 inch slices) for about 20 minutes. Cool and set aside.
Heat 4 garlic cloves, skins on, in a pan until fragrant. DON'T BURN them. Cool, peel and dice.
Slice your red pepper lengthwise and de-seed it. lay it on foil skin side up and put it in your broiler on hi until the skin turns black and puffy. Remove, cool, and peel off skin.
Wash a fistfull of fresh basil.
Drop everything in a processor and add 2 glugs of olive oil. Process it into a smooth mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste- mix again. Don't burn the crostini!

Uses: 1) spread on a crostini; 2) ravioli filling; or 3) something to start a food fight with (watch the eyes, it has peppers).



Brock

No comments: