Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Galbi (Korean Beef Short Ribs)







This is a classic in my house. I make them often enough and my friends request them almost as much as my crepes. I almost always buy mine at 99 Ranch Market, but occasionally, they have decent ones at Stater Bros...yes, I'm a Stater Bros shopper...laugh all you want, but I'm also from Barstow and the two go hand-in-hand. The fact that you probably wouldn't expect a Stater Bros shopper to eat or make Korean food is also strange, considering the fact that they (SB) only changed their "Oriental" section to "International" in the past couple of years...a little behind the times, don't you think? But that's certainly not me, as you well know.

Galbi:

3 pounds beef short ribs
1 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup sesame oil
8-12 cloves garlic, minced
2 bundles green onion, chopped
1 onion, liquified in a processor
2 Tsp chopped fresh ginger
salt
pepper

Mix your marinade, then marinade the ribs for at least 1 hour, preferably 2 or 3. Grill outside, because these suckers will smoke and smell up your house! Top with toasted sesame seeds and eat with Kimchi and rice. Don't be shy.

Enjoy!

~ Brock

No comments: