Search This Blog

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Salty-Sweet Fried Sweet Potatoes, Spicy White Corn with Balsamic Vinegar on Seared Mahi Mahi


Well, my friend Jason was talking about wanting to go vegetarian for a week and it got me thinking, "man, I sure don't eat enough vegetables." It's not that I don't like them, or at least some of them. It's just that I don't always think about it. I mean, maybe this meal doesn't really even count, since sweet potatoes aren't always viewed as a vegetable. They are, I understand, but you know how it is.

Anyway, you already know about my affinity for Mahi Mahi, and I was feeling like something semi-healthy for dinner. But I've also been thinking about textures on my plate, and I didn't want fish with mashed sweet potato - the textures are just too similar. So fried is always good, isn't it?

Salty-Sweet Fried Sweet Potatoes:

Peel one large sweet potato, and cube into small squares. Boil enough water to cover at least 2 inches, and boil sweet potatoes for 10-15 minutes, until edible but not completely cooked through. Drain and set aside. Dry them and salt them. Dry them again - you don't want any liquid on these when you fry them.

Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, turning and moving them around often. Salt them just a tad while in the pan once more. When you have about 1-2 minutes left, melt 2 tbs butter with 1 Tsp sugar in a small sauce pan. Remove the sweet potatoes to a bowl and dry off oil with a paper towel. Pour over butter-sugar mixture. Serve with a small amount of minced Italian parsley.

Spicy White Corn with Balsamic Vinegar:

Take 1 head of white corn and slice off kernels...set aside. Mince 2 large shallots, 1/4 Serrano chili and add to corn. Heat 1 Tsp olive oil until smoking. Add all ingredients and blacken, stirring often. Salt and Pepper. Fry and blacken a minute or two, then add 1 Tsp balsamic vinegar and stir quickly. Pour off into a bowl ready to top on your fish.

My pan seared Mahi Mahi recipe is already posted.

Enjoy!

~ Brock

No comments: