Search This Blog

Monday, November 3, 2008

Poached Egg with Basil & Pimiento Vinaigrette

Using fresh ingredients sends your dishes over the top. I grow my own herbs, so I popped this basil straight off and into my mixing bowl. And you have to think about the pairing of textures for this one. I think a poached egg needs something crunchy or crusty to round off, but you also need to consider mopping up the yoke and crackers were not the right choice for that. Try a toasted french or sourdough bread on yours. Anyway, it was a nice and quick breakfast!

Poached Egg

Boil 2 cups water and 1/4 tsp salt in a shallow, small frying pan, then lower to a non-bubbling simmer. Ease egg into it and poach for 4 minutes (soft yoke). Make your vinaigrette while you're doing that.

Basil & Pimiento Vinaigrette

For 1 egg, use about 5 or 8 basil leaves. 4 or 5 small pieces of pimiento. 1 TSP olive oil. 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.

You'll notice I added Brie to my crackers. That's up to you. I think eggs and cheese pair well, but with a poached egg, I didn't need the cheese.

Enjoy!

~ Brock

No comments: