Search This Blog

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cognac-Currant Cream Sauce


It's York's birthday, so I thought I'd bake him...I mean, Tammy wanted to bake him...a nice cake using some fresh currants I bought from Trader Joes and some Hennessy I have in the vault.

First, the chocolate cake. Because of timing, I needed to make a quick cake...something I could make with the ingredients on hand. I had a Pillsbury box of dark chocolate cake (which is great on its own), and chose that as my base.

My focus was on the sauce. Using currants as my focal point, I did the following:

1/2 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup whipping cream
1/4 Cup butter
1/4 fresh currants
2 tsp cognac

I place everything in a small pot and heat on low for about 15 minutes. Then, I mass some of the berries with a wooden spoon...some whole, some crushed. Then I bring to a medium-high boil for 4 minutes (without stirring) and remove from heat.

Here is a quick shot of the sauce after I used some...a lot of the berries left because I strained most of the sauce into a baster and on top:



Once the cake is cooled, I used a turkey baster and infused some strained sauce throughout the cake. Then I drizzled sauce over the top, and spooned berries (from the sauce) about the top. Shake some powder sugar over it all and viola!

Enjoy yourself.

~ Brock

No comments: