Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Red Chili Shredded Pork

I did not take a picture - what a mistake. Not that it would capture the beauty, or even could. I take most pics with my iPhone, but when it comes to shredded meat dishes (like my Mole), it isn't pretty. It's the taste that's pretty..the texture, the aroma, the experience. But that's why cookbooks with pictures sell, isn't it? I mean, look at Williams-Sonoma cookbooks. Beautiful pictures, but the recipes suck. At least all the ones I've tried. Then I have these Russian, Greek and Spanish cookbooks - no pictures. Some have some hand drawings, but nothing photographic. You try those - any of those - and they taste amazing. Imagine that while you imagine making this recipe.

Well, I put this together for a Memorial Day get together. I was supposed to make chili...this kind of fits that category, but not really. Well, it turns out I had family in town and didn't make it to the store to get what I needed for chili. What I did have was everything for this. So here we go.

Red Chili Shredded Pork:

Preheat oven to 325.

Start with a 3-4 pound pork shoulder. There was plenty of fat on this one, and I chose not to trim it. I felt the length of the braise would render that fat real nice into the meat...I was right. Cut the pork into large chunks, maybe 2" squares. Salt, pepper and New Mexico Chili these bad boys all around and set aside. Chop two onions, 1 red bell pepper, and 6-8 red chilis. Set aside.

Heat about 2 Tbs olive oil in dutch oven. Fry half the meat until browned on all sides - about 10 minutes. Put in a bowl and do the same to the other half of the pork. Remove to bowl, then drop in onions, red bell peppers and red peppers. Fry up about 5 minutes. Add back in pork and accumulated juices and mix well.

Pour in 1 tall can of good beer. I'm not a beer drinker and I have no idea what "good" beer is, but my neighbor gladly slipped me a Coors and that worked just fine. Pour it in, bring to a boil while adding - 3 Tbs Pasilla ground chili, salt, pepper, 6 cloves garlic through a press, 2 bay leaves, juice of 1 lime (and spent lime), ground cumin and coriander.

Put this in the oven for 2.5-3 hours. Bring it out, shred the pork with a fork (this will take almost no work at all). Put it back in the oven and turn off the heat. Let it sit in another 30 minutes until you're ready to eat. It's damn good.

Enjoy!

~ Brock

No comments: